Biking or walking to work can be a part of your daily exercise routine.
Biking and walking are two of the easiest means of transportation. Even if your trip is long, consider walking or biking for part of your trip and make this your exercise routine. You can walk or bike to the bus and put your bike on the bus.
For many, the biggest obstacle to biking or walking more is finding a safe route. We’ve provided maps and guides to help you navigate a path where you feel comfortable, as well as tips for biking safely and walking safely.
Going to eat, shop, or play closer to home or work makes it easier to walk or bike. Look for your neighborhood’s walkscore and discover the great places that are closer than you think.
- For tips on commute cycling, trail additions, events around the Triangle, and other alerts, sign up for the GoTriangle Cyclist Newsletter.
- For Wake and parts of surrounding counties, join the CAMPO CAMPO (Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization) Bicycle and Pedestrian Stakeholders Group. This site also has info on the new CORE (Center of the Region) Pedestrian-Bicycle-Green Space Plan, which focuses around the RTP area.
- In Durham , join the Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC). Also, download the Durham Bicycling Resources Guide!
- Bike Carrboro.com: The Carrboro Bicycle Coalition is a non-profit organization of local citizens dedicated to building a network of cyclists in the greater Carrboro region. The purpose of Carrboro Bicycle Coalition is to create a bicycle friendly community through cycling awareness, education, safety advocacy and promotion of bicycling for transportation, recreation, fitness, and a livable future.
- Join the RTP Bike and Pedestrian Listserv!: Talk to other area bike commuters, find the best routes, find out about future plans for bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and put in your two cents.
- Map of bicycle rack locations in Durham, including pictures and descriptions of each location.
- Duke University cycling information
- At NC State University, join the BUG listserv (Bicycle User Group) for campus-related cycling news.
- North Carolina Bicycle Club
- The Carolina Tarwheels Bicycle Club
- TriangleCycling.com: Multiple forums for cycling info, including mechanical, rides, racing, product reviews, items for sale, and more.
- North Carolina Amateur Sports: Sponsors of the annual Cycle NC race.
- Slow Spokes: Bike rides, at a sensible pace!
- North Carolina Coalition for Bicycle Driving
- Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips: Follows one man's journey from internal combustion (auto driver) to bike commuting. Lots of practical information on getting started, bike safety, equipment, and repairs.
- Safe Routes to Schools: US and Canadian program designed to decrease traffic and pollution and increase the health of children and the community by promoting walking and biking to school and addressing related safety issues.
- League of American Bicyclists
- Want more? Visit the "best collection of cycling links for the triangle area"