Biking or walking to work can be a part of your daily exercise routine.
Biking and walking are two of the easiest means of transportation. Even if your trip is long, consider walking or biking for part of your trip and make this your exercise routine. You can walk or bike to the bus and put your bike on the bus.
For many, the biggest obstacle to biking or walking more is finding a safe route. We’ve provided maps and guides to help you navigate a path where you feel comfortable, as well as tips for biking safely and walking safely.
Going to eat, shop, or play closer to home or work makes it easier to walk or bike. Look for your neighborhood’s walkscore and discover the great places that are closer than you think.
- New Durham Hiking and Walking Website: Great website of local hiking and walking facilities in the Triangle Area and surrounding region. Includes info on greenways, sidewalks, hiking trails, health, cycling and more. Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission.
- Safe Routes to Schools : US and Canadian program designed to decrease traffic and pollution and increase the health of children and the community by promoting walking and biking to school and addressing related safety issues.
- CDC's Kids Walk to School Program: Community-based program that aims to increase opportunities for daily physical activity by encouraging children to walk to and from school in groups accompanied by adults.
- Start a Walking School Bus or Bicycle Train in your community! Help kids get to school in a safe and healthy way.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center
- North Carolina Road Runners Club
- Walkable America Checklist
- Run the Planet
- Running Times