How to Pay the Fare
If you’ll be riding CAT, DATA, & Triangle Transit Buses
Using a Pass or Transfer:
- Have your pass or transfer out and ready before the bus arrives.
- Transfers, stored ride passes (for example, 10-ride pass), and stored value passes (for example, $25 pass) should be inserted into the slot on the upper left hand side of the fare box with the arrow pointing down
- Day passes, monthly passes, and GoPasses should be swiped like a credit card through the fare card slot on top right corner of the fare box
Paying in Cash:
- Have exact change out and ready before the bus arrives. View fares.
- If you need a day pass or a transfer, tell the bus operator as you enter and pay.
- Drop coins in the cup on the fare box. Feed flat, unfolded bills into the bill slot (the box that resembles a vending machine)
- Your day pass or transfer will be automatically dispensed if you requested one.
If you’ll be riding C-Tran
On Cary Transit (C-Tran), simply drop your cash fare in the drop box or show the bus operator your pass or transfer when boarding the bus.
If you’ll be riding Chapel Hill Transit or Wolfline
Don’t worry about it, Chapel Hill Transit and NCSU Wolfline buses are FREE. The only catch is if you’ll be riding the Tarheel Express to a game, or the PX Express from Pittsboro. Then, pay your fare as you board the bus.